Thanks to Happy Family Organics for sponsoring this post! All opinions are my own. Friends, meet my new favorite lightning fast dish. This Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese requires just 5 simple ingredients, zero prep work, and is just the yummiest pasta recipe!
Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese
I am always looking for easy and delicious ways to incorporate more vegetables into my family’s meals and this recipe is one that we’ve all been loving lately. It comes together in less than 15 minutes, is incredibly creamy, and tastes so darn good.
Plus, there’s sweet potato in the mix to add flavor and nutrients. Win!
Meet Happy Baby® Savory Blends
There’s a new line of pouches that I’m so excited to share with you today that were developed to help our kids love veggies. And with the majority of toddlers falling short of meeting their veggie recommendations, I’m all for offering them in all forms!
Happy Baby® Savory Blends come in four flavors and each has flavorful fats, savory herbs, and spices so they taste similarly to how we’d (ideally!) make them at home if we all had more time. Each pouch has 1½ servings of veggies and can be offered from the pouch or used in recipes like my mac and cheese.
The pouches are available at Whole Foods and on Amazon.
TIP: I’m so happy to partner with Happy Family Organics on this post and because they donated over 845,000 meals and snacks last year, and their Happy Baby Clearly Crafted Jars are available through the WIC program in 24 of the 25 states that allow organic products in the infant fruit and vegetable category.
Ingredients You Need
To make this recipe you’ll need:
- Happy Baby® Organic Sweet Potato pouch
- Unsalted butter
- Shredded cheddar cheese
Here’s a look at how to make this recipe. Scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full information.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- Measure out the sweet potato. (This is a great step for the kids to help with!)
- Add all of the ingredients to the pot.
- Stir together.
TIP: The sweet potato puree transforms the mixture into a nice mac and cheese texture without the need for any fussy roux-making steps.
Frequently Asked Questions
I love using a Happy Baby® Organic Sweet Potato pouch because it means I can skip preparing fresh sweet potato separately. I also love the subtle hint of rosemary that this puree has. Alternatively, you can make your own sweet potato puree and use it in this recipe.
Yes! It stores and reheats really well. Simply store it in airtight containers in the fridge for 3-5 days and reheat in 15-30 second increments in the microwave. (I’ve been making it ahead and serving it for an easy lunch throughout the week.)
Best Tips for Success
- Use a small shape of pasta so it cooks quickly.
- Use one of the new Happy Family Organics Savory Blends for zero prep work.
- Or, prepare your own Sweet Potato Puree.
- Stir the mixture together well until all of the cheese is melted.
- Add a simple side of fruit for an easy meal.
- Store leftovers in the fridge in airtight containers for 3-5 days. Reheat in 15-30 second increments or until warm.
- Gluten-free: Use GF pasta.
- I love serving veggies in all sorts of ways to kids—because you never know when they’ll find one they love! We do veggies in muffins, salad, roasted, in popsicles, in hummus, baked as fries, blended into a smoothie, and in mac and cheese.
Thanks to Happy Family Organics for sponsoring this post!
I’d love to hear what you think of this recipe if you try it, so please comment below!
I like to use a small shape to keep this dish as fast as possible.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Cook pasta according to the package directions. Drain.
- Melt the butter in the pot over low heat. Add the pasta, sweet potato, cheddar cheese, and milk.
- Turn off the heat. Stir together the ingredients to make a uniformly creamy pasta.
- Serve warm.
Use a small shape of pasta so it cooks quickly.
Use one of the new Happy Family Organics Savory Blends for zero prep work.
Or, prepare your own Sweet Potato Puree and use 1/2 cup.
Stir the mixture together well until all of the cheese is melted.
Add a simple side of fruit for an easy meal.
Store leftovers in the fridge in airtight containers for 3-5 days. Reheat in 15-30 second increments or until warm.
Gluten-free: Use GF pasta.
Keywords: sweet potato mac and cheese